Chanctonbury Probus Club
Chanctonbury Probus Club

Social Committee

The club appoints a series of Officers who manage the club's affairs and are appointed at the annual general meeting that is held in May each year. We have a Social Committee and its Chairman is elected under this process

 

The Social Committee currently is:-

Chairman  Ted Hooker

Members   Ian Gibson, Alan Jeffs, John Keayes, Laki Marangos and Simon Powlson

 

Club Members should contact the Committe if they would like to suggest any social event. 

 

NOTE at the bottom of this webpage you can see an Advice document designed to help event organisers together with a copy of the Club's "Standard Flyer" format

A copy of the latest Committee meeting minutes is shown below:-

Chanctonbury Probus Club

Social Committee Meeting

held on Tuesday 7 January 2020

at 7.30pm at Ted Hookers’ home

 

In the chair:        Ted Hooker

Present:               Ian Gibson, Alan Jeffs, John Keayes, Laki Marangos and Simon Powlson

Apologies:           None

Discussion, comments & agreed actions

1.   Confirmation of the Minutes of the meeting held on 3 October 2019

The minutes were approved as a true record of that meeting.

2.   Matters arising from those Minutes

Ted suggested that all issues and actions referred to in the previous minutes would be dealt with under agenda items for today’s meeting.

3.   Review of social events held since last meeting

Ted reminded the committee about social activities held since the last meeting as follows:-

The Chairman’s Invitation Lunch in October organized by Graham Moss – the committee were impressed by the excellent turnout.

The Chichester Planetarium Visit in November arranged by Simon Powlson and everyone agreed that this together with the early dinner in Chichester had been a very enjoyable event.

The Christmas Choral Event at the Royal Albert Hall in December arranged by Alan Jeffs was viewed as a tremendous success.

Simon confirmed that during his year as Club Chairman he had visited some other local Probus Clubs and realized at our Club we have a very good balance of social activities in place.

Ted thanked all event organizers and the Committee members for their great work.

4. Planned Events for 2020

John reminded the committee that the current list of social event dates are on the “2020 Club Diary” webpage together with dates of lunch meetings; walks and coffee mornings. Alan confirmed the golf dates will be added after his Golf Planning meeting in February.  

Ted’s table of firm events (and gaps) were discussed and the list is shown below:-

2020

Event

Organizer

Status

January 20th

Ten Pin Bowling

John Gilbert

Flyer issued

February 4th

Curling at Tunbridge Wells

Simon Powlson

Flyer issued

March

 

 

 

April 23rd

 

27th

25th Annual Dinner

 

Chichester Historical tour & Lunch

Rob Golding

 

Roger Millard

In progress

 

In progress

May 11th

Leonardslee Gardens

Ted Hooker

Booked

June 1st

Inter-Probus Club Croquet

Laki Marangos

Flyer issued

July

 

 

 

August

 

 

 

September 11th – 15th

Normandy Visit

Laki Marangos

Flyer issued

October

Chairman’s Invitation Lunch

Clive Jones

 

November 19th

Call My Bluff Wine Challenge

Laki Marangos

In progress

December

 

 

 

 

John confirmed this list is already posted on the website.

It was pointed out that the Normandy trip returns home on the morning of the Coffee Morning date on 15th September. It was agreed that this would be discussed with Clive Jones with a suggestion to delay that Coffee Morning by a week.

Ted said he would like to add at least an event for July and August and suggested this be discussed under item 5 (see below).

5. Potential Events for 2020/21

The list below was discussed:-

Event

Organizer or suggested by

Status

Chichester Harbour boat trip

Simon Powlson

Planning stage.  Possibly June

Hampton Court Flower Show

Simon Powlson

Planning stage.  Will be July

Shipley Petanque and BBQ

Simon Powlson

Planning stage.  Possibly July

Herstmonceaux Visit

Alan Jeffs

Investigating

Theatre Visit

Suggested by Bob Minter

TH to canvas members for Organiser

Ford Recycling Plant Visit

Ian Gibson

Likely to be in 2021

 

Christ’s Hospital Visit

Simon/Alan

Investigating

Ford Prison

John Keayes

Likely to be 2021

Simon talked about the Arundel Castle Garden event and as a result, the committee agreed NOT to proceed with this.

Other suggested events that were on the list but not discussed at this meeting were :-

Event

Suggested by

Actions agreed

Paris via Eurostar

John Gilbert

Working on costs/itinerary. 

London visit

Tim Hulbert

 

Brooklands/Concorde visit

Peter Comben & John Maunder

 

 

6. Event Organisation and Flyers

Ted referred to the two documents that had been emailed to committee members with the agenda for this meeting – the Club’s Standard Flyer that had been developed by Graham Moss & Ted Fisher a few years ago and Simon’s Event Guidance notes.

Ted circulated a new document he had put together entitled “Advice on Organising an Event” after some discussion it was agreed that committee members would respond to Ted before the next Management Committee meeting on 13th January.

Alan asked that the matter of ‘risk’ at an event be taken into account. John confirmed the Club holds an annual ‘Probus Club Protection’ insurance policy through Fidential Insurance Brokers ltd – John will clarify whether that policy covers club events.

 

7. Golf

Alan confirmed he will hold a meeting on 25 February 2020 for all those members interested in golf in order to nail down this year’s golf events.

 

8.  Any Other Business

  1. Committee Chairman’s stepping down – Ted reminded the meeting that he will not be standing for re-election at the 2020 AGM.  John confirmed the process and rules around the election of Chairman, Vice Chairman, Treasurer, Chairman of the Social Committee and the Secretary.

Ted invited members of the Committee to express interest in standing for Committee Chairman.

The Committee discussed the need to get newer members involved in the work of this committee.

 

Next Committee Meeting – 7.30pm Monday 6th April 2020 at Ted Hookers’ home.

 

Minutes by John Keayes produced on 08.01.2020

Action to be taken by

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advice on Organising an Event

 

Develop a Clear Proposition

 

Ideas for social events can be generated by the Social Committee or suggested by members.  The ideas are discussed at the Social Committee meeting and the appointed Organiser will research the detail, particularly an indication of event cost and timing, and the Social Committee Chairman will take this information along to a Club Lunch to get an indication of likely numbers before progressing further.

 

Transport to/from the event must be considered. 

 

If it is agreed that personal transport is best then parking information should be provided where possible.

 

If a coach is used it is particularly important to have a good indication of interest as this can add greatly to the cost of the event.  It is sometimes useful to send out an interim flyer to gauge interest to aid coach booking.

 

The organiser should also consider how much walking may be involved so that this can be made clear to members.

 

Food may also be a significant element in the decision to proceed.  A meal may be part of the event or a more informal approach may be taken with members agreeing to meet for a meal after the event and pay individually.

 

The Event Flyer

 

The Organiser may find it useful to test all of the above against the Club’s standard Event Flyer which is a useful check that all aspects of the event have been taken into consideration.

 

The Open to section is included as there are occasionally instances when only members may attend.  And example of this was Rick Borrett’s Live Target Shooting Event (Sept 19).  The norm is for events to be open to Members, Associates and their Partners/guests.  In some instances the event may be open to friends/relatives/non Chanctonbury Probus members but this should first be agreed with the Social Committee Chairman, however an event should not have to depend on non Chanctonbury Probus members to make it viable.

 

The principal headings (in bold) should all be completed to ensure consistency, however each event is different and in some cases extra pages for example for maps or itineraries may need to be included.  In others the flyer will be very short and simple.

 

Information on the Club’s insurance can be found on the Club website Insurance Page.  Where appropriate, Members should be advised to carry their own Travel Insurance. 

 

 

 

Costs/Budgeting

 

This can be the most difficult part of the exercise, particularly if a coach is involved as the objective is the event to break even.  A contingency allowance should be built in in cases where unexpected costs may arise and it is prudent to be conservative about likely numbers.

 

When a coach is used, or in other instances where gratuities are appropriate, these should be included in the cost of the Event.

 

The Organiser can get advice on costings from the Social Committee and SC Chairman.  The cost needs to be clearly stated on the Flyer together with what would be refundable in cases of cancellation by members.  The Club Cancellation Policy (see Club Rules number 8) states that “All events must be paid for at the time of booking.  In the event of cancellation and if the booking can be resold, a refund can be given.  If it cannot be resold, payment for the booked event must be made.

 

If the Organiser is concerned that the event may make a loss due to insufficient take up, this should be raised with the Social Committee Chairman, who may talk to members of the Management Committee if appropriate, and a decision will be made as to whether the Event should proceed or whether it should be cancelled.

 

Flyer Distribution

 

When the flyer is ready the Organiser sends it to the Social Committee Chairman who will check it over and forward it to the Secretary for distribution to Members and Associates.

 

Finances

 

All cheques must be made out to the “Chanctonbury Probus Club”.  The Organiser will liaise with the Treasurer, passing his cheques for banking and requesting a club cheque for any payments to be made, e.g. deposit/final payment. 

 

All financial transactions relating to the Event should be handled by the Treasurer.  The Organiser should not use his own money to pay for Events.  At the time of writing the Club can only make payments by cheque.  Where an Event provider only accepts card or online payment (e.g. for deposit) the Organiser must make the Treasurer aware before using his own card and must obtain an immediate reimbursement from the Treasurer.

 

The Organiser will keep the Social Committee Chairman and Committee updated on progress.

 

 

After the Event

 

The Organiser will write a short piece about the Event for the Club Website and for the Annual Journal.

 

 

Ted Hooker, Jan 2020

Standard Flyer Format

DESCRIPTION OF PROBUS EVENT

DD Month YYYY

Event Summary Description

...................................................

Event Date(s)                         DD MONTH YYYY

Organiser                               A N Other

Start Time:                             HH:MM

Duration/End Time:              HH:MM

Meeting Point:                      Venue Name/Description   (Post Code: AB1 2CD)

Parking:                                 On site / Pay & Display / Free / ABC Car Park (Post Code: AB1 2CD)

Refreshments:                       Restaurant / See Attached Menu Options / On Site / Bring Your Own

Open To:                                Members Only / Partners / Guests

Total Cost per person:          £….. (Payable in advance / On the day / Refundable or not?) inclusive, or

           (£….. event + £….. refreshments / meals / drinks / gratuities)

ACTION NEEDED

Reply to:      By Email:           another@btinternet.com

                     By Phone:         01903 123 456

                     By Post:            See details on Tear-Off Slip below

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deadline for Replies:      DD MONTH YYYY

Event:   …………………

To:  A.N Other, 99 Somewhere Avenue, Storrington, RH20 1AB

Please delete the appropriate line(s) below ...

I wish to attend the XYZ Probus Event  and enclose a cheque for:   £              for              people

I wish to attend the lunch                        and enclose a cheque for:   £              for              people

I do not wish to come

Name:  _______________________________

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deadline for Replies:      DD MONTH YYYY

Event:   A Daytime Visit to Probus Event

To:  A.N Other, 99 Somewhere Avenue, Storrington, RH20 1AB

Please tick the appropriate choice from the line(s) below...

Menu Choice for ____________________         1a / 1b / 1c         2a / 2b / 2c         3a / 3b / 3c         4a / 4b / 4c 

Menu Choice for ____________________         1a / 1b / 1c         2a / 2b / 2c         3a / 3b / 3c         4a / 4b / 4c 

I do not wish to come

Name:  _______________________________

Partner _______________________________

Guest(s) _______________________________

Print Print | Sitemap
© John Keayes